I will never know you the way others do, being apart of your every day life is not what I am meant to be. I will see you in a different light than others who you associate with on a day to day basis. The way we know each other will be different. The time you spend with me will be unpleasant but necessary. You are fighting for your life. I will be with you during the most intimate and yet humiliating time for you. Your body will do things you don’t understand and feel ways you cannot describe. We will experience joy, hope, terror, and faith together. You await the future with anxiousness and wonder. While you try and survive this grim and lonely experience, feeling deserted and alone, I will be with you. It will be an honor to witness your strength, your courage, your fears and your miracles. You will never know this, but I care more than words can describe. While I can never know how you feel, I love you, I care about you, and I will do everything in my power to help you.

Your fears will be my fears. You stay in my thoughts day and night as I try and imagine your pain. When I leave this dreary hospital each night I stop to think; what if I was the one not returning to a happy, healthy home tonight? Would I be strong and courageous as you are? Would I have the faith and the hope that you do as you continue your fight to live? Would I be able to smile as you do? I cannot describe the pain and the thoughts that I have each day.
Before I lay down each night, I will pray. I will pray for you and for strength to know how to help you. I will thank my Heavenly Father for my health, for my job, and the miracle it is to know you. You come to me for help, and in return you will influence my life more than words can say.
You are my patient, and I am your nurse.
I thank God that I have the privilege of knowing you.-- Keeli Huntsman

1 comment:

Clarissa Meegan said...

I loved reading all of these posts about your job. It seriously has made me reconsider the idea of "going into nursing" because it sounds so fulfilling. We'll talk more when I get closer to "going back to school someday"