Sherrys Marathon



Sherry finished her first marathon last week. She did the Salt Lake marathon which was awesome because they stayed with us the night before the big race, and Todd got to be there as she crossed the finish line. Todd got choked up watching her cross the line. He was telling everyone that his mom was running it and even drove her to the race at five a.m. I get choked up thinking about him choking up while watching his mom cross the finish line hunched over with blisters on her feet. So so sweet...

I also get a little choked up knowing that my mother-in-law was able to finish a marathon and I literally can't even run a mile. Seriously, I faked a stomach illness when we were supposed to run the mile in Mrs. Steiners 9th grade P.E class. At one point Todd and I decided to be ambitious and went with my brother and his wife to run around the green belt in Idaho Falls, Todd ended up carrying me on his shoulders for half of the run... not even joking I was on his shoulders. I often tell people I have asthma that severely limits my ability to run, or rotate between the "I ruined my knees doing gymnastics" excuse or the "I pulled a hamstring" excuse. None of these are entirely true, or even partly true. for Truth is I'm a morbidly obese girl trapped inside my body and I have a large fear that one day that girl is going to come screaming through and I'll end up being the next contestant on tbe biggest loser (which I watch faithfully every week, Go Hannah!). Maybe someday I'll be able to fullfil a dream and strap one of those cute bold numbers on my stomach and run some race, but until then I'll be so proud and impressed with everyone who runs a race, or runs period. You inspire me.

1 comment:

McArthurs said...

Wow, Sherry is awesome!!! I remember one day after I got done running she told me that she thinks it is cool that I can run for so long (I ran like 5 miles), and then she said, "but what in the world do you think about when you're running for so long?" I guess she found a lot to think about, if she ran that far. And Suzy your pretty funny. I like how you fake injuries so you don't have to run. That made me laugh.