Ventage

8 blood transfusions (2 per patient), one large occluding blood clot in one swollen and painful arm, one central line IV GUSHING large amounts of blood, one hysterical wife, one japanese speaking patient almost passed out on the bathroom floor, one hour overtime to finish charting, one patient transfer to the ICU, 6 calls to the doctor, 2 black and burnt legs from experimental chemo treatment gone seriously wrong. For some reason I pictured my nursing career all like bandaids and cute scrubs, not dying people and blood. I have been doing most stuff on my own.The three previous days on my own had been great. I was loving it, I was feeling confident. And then day 4 was trial through fire, I'll tell you what. I was doing good holding it together, I was doing too much stuff to think about how scared I was, but when Todd picked me up I just lost it in the car, hence the mascara all over my face. I promise I didn't look like that at work. Whoa, sorry I'm venting. I'm done. I don't want to mislead you. I love my job, I love my patients, I love being a nurse ... I think. I love the mountains, I love the rolling hills, I love the fountains, I love the dafodills. Okay I'll stop. It could be worse right? I could be a teacher of bratty junior high students, or a taxodermist of squirrels or something. Life is actually pretty good. Thanks for listening.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzy, you are so brave! I have so much respect for the work you are doing, and I'm impressed you made it through such a horrifying day. I know a day like that would make me seriously doubt my professional choice. Way to go, stud woman.

JJ said...

I am so sorry that you had a day like that. Truly, nurses are angels on earth. I am so glad you became a nurse. It was something I could tell you would be great at. Hang in there! Your patients are so lucky to have you.

Josh and Lyndi Smith said...

I would have been passed out on the floor next to the 300 pound guy. Seriously. What a day! I am impressed that you didn't loose it at work. Like other comments- I pretty much think you are super woman, and...I am glad you vented. You should vent. Working with cancer patients all day is an amazing thing you are doing, but it is a really hard reality. So please vent.

Chelsi said...

I am sorry you had such a hard day. I have spent enough time in the hospital with Trevor to have only the sligtest nkling of what nurses must go through. You really are amazing for doing this job. I heard someone say once that nurses an doctors are not just professions, they are callings. It takes an incredibly strong and compassionate person to do the work you do. And if you cry and vent at the end of the day now and then I think that is a good thing. It is a sign of the sweet empathy you have for the people you work with. And the fact that you get up and go back on the fifth day shows your dedication. And if it helps, from a patient's perspective, the nurses are the ones who make the biggest difference when you are there (Trevor, reading over my shoulder says: "especially the cute nurses! And suzy is definitely cute.") Smile today.

Hilary said...

Bless your heart. I seriously have tears in my eyes. Good Luck - your patients are DANG lucky to have you. You are great. I think you are wonder woman. Kyler has hives and that is stressing me out - and there is no experimental blood transfusing involved.

Brittanie said...

Suzy your awesome. Im sure the patients just love you because you are so cute and have such a bubbly personality. You and Todd crack me up. I love to read about your date nights. Its soo good to see pictures of you guys. I miss ya. Hopefully we can see you soon.
Love ya. Britt

Sutton's said...

Suzy, I am just so grateful that people on this earth want to be nurses. So, thank you for being a nurse. I am sorry that you had such a bad day. I hope that you don't have another one like that anytime soon. I just noticed that we have picked the same blog background. I had no idea. I will change my soon. I actually haven't been blogging or looking at blogs forever, so I didn't notice. I love the new pics. You have many talents girl. I miss you. Have a Happy Halloween. Love, Lyndi

Lisa said...

Suz, I am so sorry you had such an awful day. I don't know how you do what you do, but you are amazing at it. I hope your days ahead show you that.

Danielle and Brian said...

OH bless your heart!! Suzy you are I'm sure in fact such a great nurse. Dont let a couple bad days get you down! I basically cry about 4 times a week (I work 4 days a week and they are all 10 hour days!) not great but I do it. haha I come home and vent and cry and so I think you are totally normal. Working with cancer is a totally different feel then peds but when we find out that one of our patients has a brain tumor or something I cry at work so I applaud you for not losing it at work!! Way to Go! Vent Away

Chelsey Hymas said...

I'm sorry you had a hard day.....but I have to tell you that it is a comfort to know others struggle some days adjusting to the demands, responsibilities, and expectations that being a nurse brings. I've had my share of breakdown days since starting...and I am sure there are many more to come....but guess what, each one brings something new to learn! You can do it!!