I don't think I've been this homesick in years. Todd and I have had such a fun Christmas filled day. We went Christmas shopping, and hung out together, then went to the festival of trees tonight. I have been really feeling in the Christmas mood. Tonight we had a half hour drive home from Festival of Trees and we were listening to the christmas station and so many memories just came flooding back. Like all of us together singing in the car on our way to Grandmas in newdale, the constant christmas music on in the house, listening to mom sing as she cleans the house, the permanent fixture of treats always on the cluttered counter, at one point I was even getting nostalgic for the block of cheese Lamar brings... yes it was on of those nights. I thought about putting up the Christmas tree at home, and everyone sleeping in the same room on Christmas eve. I thought of dad going out on christmas day to buy batteries for our toys. I thought about how awesome it was when mom would tell us we could sleep in cause it was a snow day, I thought of the hanging the half eaten by mice christmas decorations all around the house and those bells that used to hang by the old phone, the freaky faceless angel that went above the fireplace, the equally freaky Mr and Mrs Clause decorations for the bathroom. I thought about driving home from basketball games and falling asleep listening to bobcat radio. I thought about when Wyatt and I would make countdown chains out of red and green paper to hang around the house. I thought about wrapping presents in mom and dads bedroom watching that little t.v. I thought about peeking for presents in moms closet, and trying to break into dads office where the big ones were locked. I thought about Rhett and how much I miss him. I thought about Grandma Robison and a lot about Mom. I miss being little. I miss being together. I wish I would have known how much I would miss it.
However, home to me now is wherever Todd is. Right now he is holding me and playing with my hair as I cry and write this post. I'm grateful we have our own Christmas memories... like singing songs and slow dancing as we put up the Christmas tree, and drinking hot chocolate while walking around the neighborhood, and planning out what presents to get people together, and constantly listening to our favorite christmas mixes on itunes, and I love that my very own house can smell like the mall when I make candied almonds, I love how far we have come together since our first christmas. It is now our third one together (fourth if you count while we were dating) and I'm very grateful that I can buy Todd something other than a free netflix trial, and rewrapped wedding presents like in the previous years.
Todd has a hot cup of hot chocolate waiting downstairs, Cobie Callat is on itunes and it is snowing outside... even though I'm homesick I'm glad I have an amazing life and a best friend to spend this season with.
2 comments:
Seriously, crying now.
Those were the best times. We are so lucky that we have such fun memories to look back on.
I had mom bring me the Forgotten Carols last week because I got all nostalgic about it playing on Sunday mornings really loud on the Bose. Can you believe I've gone all this time without it?
And yes, I even get nostalgic about Lamarr's cheeseblock at times.
OK. This is Hilary. I singed in with Mom's account (guessed her password).
I seriously laughed out loud and cried at the same time. What fun memories you wrote about. I love them all and know exactly what you are talking about. We are so lucky to have such wonderful memories.
This time of year brings a lot of them. We took our kids christmas shopping for FHE last night. I thought soooo much of how we would do that for FHE one night before Christmas to shop for who we had drew a name for. It was always freezing and snowing and dark. We would meet at Dad's office and split up to go to KMart or Kings or Cal Ranch. Good times.
I feel the same way that home is where Dan, kyler, Halle, Millie, and Adrie are. (I can't wait for you to meet Adrie, by the way...)
I got a Christmas card in the mail from LaMar just today. I didn't even have to look at the return address to see who it was from. THe tiny perfect cursive gave it away in a heartbeat. I too thought about the brick of cheese wrapped in shiny green paper in the fridge. I had the thought, "I bet if I lived in Archer, LaMarr would bring me a block of cheese." Hilary
Post a Comment