State basketball is my favorite holiday besides Christmas. This year we decided not to go because we didn't think anyone in my family was going. Then Todd woke me up on friday more exicited than a kid at Christmas and said "hey get up we are going to state in two hours." Apparently Zach and Wyatt decided to go and there was no way Todd was getting left behind. So we played hookie and off to Boise we went rehashing state memories and writing Todds school papers the whole way. State was actually the first time I met Todd as an adult. He and his friends came with Bryce to our hotel room. Apparently I was wearing a sweater over my swimsuit and gave Todd a very enthusiastic hand shake when I first met him. Yep a handshake.
Anyways state this year was a blast as usual. We surprised my parents and it was fun to see the look on their faces when they saw us. My dad started laughing and said "I thought we might see you here." It's a good thing their hotel had a pull out bed because we crashed with them. The first game was a nail biter and we were all packed into a little gym making it seem super intense. Trademark Dad screaming "WALK" at the refs. Trademark Todd copying Billy Hawkins "YOU BET". Trademark me having an anxiety attack because the game got too close. Trademark Mom jumping up at every three pointer and every good steal or score. I've watched hundreds of Madison basketball games with these people and it really one of my favorite things to do. We shopped, ate really good food and laughed till our sides hurt. Favorite stories were: Wyatt hitting a newborn baby in the head with a basketball, my Dad showing so much drama about a heart pizza, and just remebering past state experiences.
The championship game was so fun. We had to stand in line forever to even get into the Idaho center, it was jam packed. The biggest lead Madison ever had was by 2 points. It was back and forth the whole time. At one point Wyatt screamed "Are You FREAKING KIDDING ME" insanely loud at the ref, at another point Todd picked me up from where I was standing on the row below him and pulled me clear over the chair to the seat by him he was so excited. Little Riley was yelling "Guard number three." My mom was near tears because she was so happy Lincolns friend was out of his shooting rut. When something exciting happened we all high fived eachother. Overtime was pretty intense and then we pulled out the WIN! Zach quoted Billy Hawkins winning speech almost word for word before he said it. Very Funny. This year I would like to thank DENNYS,ZACH AND WYATT, TGI FRIDAYS, COMFORT INN'S ONE PERSON PULL OUT BED, IDAHO CENTER, BORAH FREAKIN HIGH SCHOOL AND THE FIRE MARSHALL OF BOISE COUNTY,BILLY HAWKINS, PEGGY HAWKINS, KYLE BLANCHARD, SCHWABBY, AND THE MAKERS OF TYLENOL EXTRA STRENGTH for making our state experience another one to remember. Winning two out of the four times Todd and I have watched the championships together aint half bad. GO CATS!
2 comments:
Love this post. Brings back such fun memories and so glad to know they pulled out a win! Also loving reading your blog in general. Missed it.
Two words for you. Evade Dave.
I don't exactly remember what they meant or why we had a hand signal to go along with them.
But I probably will never forget saying it over and over and over with you.
Post a Comment